httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Akins <brian.ak...@turner.com>
Subject Re: 2.2 mod_http_proxy and "partial" pages
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 20:45:26 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> That would depend on the current state of the proxy's response to
> the client, since it may have not even sent the status code on the
> wire.  If not, then marking the connection as aborted will just make
> it look like the proxy is broken, so we should send a 503 error
> message instead.

In the section we are examining, we have already set r->sent_bodyct, so,
as far as we are concerned, we have sent data to the client.

> If the response code has already been sent on the wire, then HTTP
> has no way to communicate the break other than body != C-L.
> Note, however, that waka does have such a mechanism, so assuming
> that the entire chain is broken is incorrect  Instead, send an error
> bucket down the chain and have the proxy mark the connection as bad
> after sending the last good data packet.

That would work, I suppose, but wouldn't the client get the same
impression "proxy is broken"?  I generally only deal with "reverse
proxies," so if origin is broken, whole site is broken...

--
Brian Akins
Lead Systems Engineer