httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Collyer <scoll...@netspinner.co.uk>
Subject Re: Problem building httpd 2.0.55 with openssl 0.9.8a [FIXED but ...]
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 10:06:47 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Stephen Collyer wrote:
>

>> OK, I've found the problem and hacked a fix for it:

[deleted]

> Did you run make install and point --with-ssl= at the install target,
> rather than a source build?

I'm not sure what you mean here by a "source build", but if you're
interested, you can download the details of what I did here:

http://www.netspinner.co.uk/Downloads/httpd_build_prob.tgz

which contains the o/p of make and config.log. However, in brief,
I built openssl 0.9.8a, ran configure with --with-ssl pointing at
the openssl tree, and ran make install.

> It would be interesting to support either, but at present we only
> support building against an installed openssl from unix.

Again I don't understand this. What counts as an "installed openssl" ?
Something where the libs end up in /usr/lib or somewhere standard like
that ? If so, that doesn't fit with what the configure script does, as
it explicitly looks for the openssl libs under the dir supplied to
--with-ssl.

>> I've now run into another problem: the build falls over when compiling
>> srclib/pcre/pcre.c:
>>
>>> pcre.c:2545: error: `pcre_default_tables' undeclared (first use in
>>> this function)

[deleted]

>> The fix is to add /somedir/openssl/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH before
>> running the build. This is a local hack of course, and I guess
>> this too needs a proper fix, but I don't know why the linking of
>> dtable is screwed up so I can't suggest one. I would have thought that
>> dtable should be linked against whatever -with-ssl points to, but
>> this doesn't seem to be happening.
>

> Well, either your solution (using LIBRARY_PATH on aix and SHLIB_PATH
> on HP/UX 32 bit) - or linking to a static libssl.a/libcrypto.a would help.
> It would not be good for the main binary httpd to link to these, since
> there
> would result many symbol clashes, later.  But we have the concept of static
> support binaries, and the autoconf script we use for openssl could resolve
> these gen_test_char-type issues by following the pattern of static support.

Well, I'm not an Apache developer so far be it from me to
tell you what you ought to do, but I would have thought that
if --with-ssl is supplied then it's safe for something like
dtable to be linked against the static libs in that dir.
(though now I come to think of it, I can't see why dtable needs
anything from them - it's just a bunch of printfs).

--
Regards

Stephen Collyer
Netspinner Ltd