httpd-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Stephen Collyer <scoll...@netspinner.co.uk>
Subject Re: Problem building httpd 2.0.55 with openssl 0.9.8a [FIXED but ...]
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2005 12:19:41 GMT
Stephen Collyer wrote:
> Joe Orton wrote:
> 
>> On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 10:05:19AM +0000, Stephen Collyer wrote:
>>
>>> [Aside - I posted a similar query to the users list and got a
>>> couple of suggestions but no solution, so I'm reposting here]
>>>
>>> In brief:
>>>
>>> I'm trying to build http 2.0.55 against openssl 0.9.8a.
>>>
>>> I've built (but not installed) a local copy of openssl, with
>>> shared libraries. I've built http like this:
>>
>>
>>
>> If the previous suggestions didn't help please capture the output of 
>> running configure and make from a freshly unpacked tarball and upload 
>> them along with the config.log file somewhere.
>>
>> joe
> 
> 
> I've put up a tarball containing these items, along with a shell
> script that does the configure and make, at:
> 
> http://www.netspinner.co.uk/Downloads/httpd_build_prob.tgz
> 

OK, I've found the problem and hacked a fix for it:

If you configure with, say, a --with-ssl=/somedir/openssl, then
the httpd 2.0.55 configure script assumes that openssl builds
its libraries into /somedir/openssl/lib. (see configure scripts
lines 10726 ff). However, in the case of openssl 0.9.8a at least,
the libraries go into /somedir/openssl. I've fixed this by creating
the appropriate lib /somedir/openssl/lib directory and putting the
libraries there, but it looks like a clash between openssl and
Apache - one or other has to change to fix it properly.

I've now run into another problem: the build falls over when compiling
srclib/pcre/pcre.c:

> pcre.c:2545: error: `pcre_default_tables' undeclared (first use in this function)

I've also fixed this: it was occurring because the build process
runs the dftable exe to generate chartables.c, but chartables.c
was empty; it was empty because dftable was linked against a couple
of openssl libraries it couldn't find, though I don't know why.

The fix is to add /somedir/openssl/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH before
running the build. This is a local hack of course, and I guess
this too needs a proper fix, but I don't know why the linking of
dtable is screwed up so I can't suggest one. I would have thought that
dtable should be linked against whatever -with-ssl points to, but
this doesn't seem to be happening.

-- 
Regards

Stephen Collyer
Netspinner Ltd

Mime
View raw message