httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Matthieu Estrade <mestr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What do you want in HTTPD 2.4/3.0/X/GREEN?
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2005 13:19:28 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:

> My intention is for this to be a wide open brainstorming thread.
>
> I expect that we will be able to discuss several ideas in much more
> detail at the Hackathon next week, but I really want to get all ideas
> 'on the table'.
>
> I have a few things I would like to see, but I am sure there are
> perhaps hundreds of other major features that other people want.  It
> helps to know what everyone else is thinking about new features,
> rather than one person going off an doing it all by themselves. (not
> that I'll stop anyone from that either).
>
> Here is my list:
>
> * Async/Event MPM: Complete Async pipeline for static files.  I
> believe we can seriously give every existing
> single-threaded-event-based server a run for their money on every
> existing benchmark.  Toss in some dynamic content, and a hybrid
> Event/Worker has serious potential.  Some of this work is ongoing in
> the async-read dev branch, but there is plenty more to do.
>
> * A Perchild MPM/replacement:  The SoC  perchild-replacement project
> didn't work out.  We have a basic design that is sound, but we need to
> actually write the code.

A perchild (threaded) mpm would be really interesting considering all
the shared memory issues we have because of the fork/thread mpm.
Doing some caching, session tracking become difficult and not really
stable on some plateform with the shared memory.

> * HTTP Removed from the core:  I would like to be able to build with
> --disable-http. Sounds crazy, but it will hopefully shrink the core,
> and help us improve other protocol handlers like mod_ftp and mod_smtpd.

I agree, we have a famous core, which could be useful for many others
protocol, but actually, it still depend too much on http. I remember my
poc for mod_smtpd project, still many include or file related to http.