httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: What do you want in HTTPD 2.4/3.0/X/GREEN?
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2005 00:57:32 GMT
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> On 12/3/05, Ian Holsman <lists@holsman.net> wrote:
>
>> I'd also like to brainstorm a better solution to running Rails/Django
>> applications inside of the httpd process than the SCGI/FastCGI solution
>> which most people use.
>
> Out of curiosity, what do you think is wrong with the current FastCGI
> method of running them?

configuration.
for example in order for me to get typo running on my blog, I need 4
rewrite rules. (and when I tried to do something slightly different, it
took me a good hour to configure it properly with all the rewrite magic)

also when applications 'experts' like scott (the creator of typo) have
issues like
http://scottstuff.net/blog/articles/2005/07/20/apache-tuning-for-rails-and-fastcgi

i think it isn't easy enough to run.
what I am after is something as simple as

RailsApp /foo/ rails-controller.rb [cache] [ENV=production]

which would just work as a in-process application...
making it as simple as running a PHP application is the goal.

I don't like the trend i see with rails & django people saying apache is
hard to use and switching to other web servers.