httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: What do you want in HTTPD 2.4/3.0/X/GREEN?
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2005 00:07:29 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:
> My intention is for this to be a wide open brainstorming thread.
>
> I expect that we will be able to discuss several ideas in much more
> detail at the Hackathon next week, but I really want to get all ideas
> 'on the table'.
>
> I have a few things I would like to see, but I am sure there are perhaps
> hundreds of other major features that other people want.  It helps to
> know what everyone else is thinking about new features, rather than one
> person going off an doing it all by themselves. (not that I'll stop
> anyone from that either).
>
> Here is my list:
>
> * Async/Event MPM: Complete Async pipeline for static files.  I believe
> we can seriously give every existing single-threaded-event-based server
> a run for their money on every existing benchmark.  Toss in some dynamic
> content, and a hybrid Event/Worker has serious potential.  Some of this
> work is ongoing in the async-read dev branch, but there is plenty more
> to do.

I've always wanted to (but not had free time) to write a SEDA-type mpm.
the SEDA is slightly different to the async/event mpm in that a given
hook/filter would process multiple events/requests at the same context
switch. This is what the apr_queue stuff was initially designed for.

I'd also like to brainstorm a better solution to running Rails/Django
applications inside of the httpd process than the SCGI/FastCGI solution
which most people use.

Configuration .. make it configurable. by that I mean allowing people to
use LDAP or a DB to hold the configuration files, and not a flat file.
This is mainly intended for large server farms. Currently the main
reason for logging onto a webserver is to change it's configuration (and
bounce) .. if we could reduce that to just 'bounce' it might make life
easier. (or some method where it checks configs every X minutes and
autobounces..removing the need to log onto the machine at all ;-)

Configuration .. make it easier..I can't think of anything on how to do
this off the top of my head, but it seems to be a common complaint.

Logging/debugging .. changing the log system to use something like Log4C
for errors.. this way the module developer can easily turn on/off
various information on a live system when he is having issues.

wish I could attend the ApacheCon.. if there was a ApacheCon OZ I'd be
there ;-)

regards
Ian