httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject What do you want in HTTPD 2.4/3.0/X/GREEN?
Date Sat, 03 Dec 2005 19:36:10 GMT
My intention is for this to be a wide open brainstorming thread.

I expect that we will be able to discuss several ideas in much more
detail at the Hackathon next week, but I really want to get all ideas
'on the table'.

I have a few things I would like to see, but I am sure there are perhaps
hundreds of other major features that other people want.  It helps to
know what everyone else is thinking about new features, rather than one
person going off an doing it all by themselves. (not that I'll stop
anyone from that either).

Here is my list:

* Async/Event MPM: Complete Async pipeline for static files.  I believe
we can seriously give every existing single-threaded-event-based server
a run for their money on every existing benchmark.  Toss in some dynamic
content, and a hybrid Event/Worker has serious potential.  Some of this
work is ongoing in the async-read dev branch, but there is plenty more
to do.

* A Perchild MPM/replacement:  The SoC  perchild-replacement project
didn't work out.  We have a basic design that is sound, but we need to
actually write the code.

* HTTP Removed from the core:  I would like to be able to build with
--disable-http. Sounds crazy, but it will hopefully shrink the core, and
help us improve other protocol handlers like mod_ftp and mod_smtpd.