httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Directions for Win32 binary httpd
Date Sat, 03 Dec 2005 18:35:14 GMT
TOKILEY@aol.com wrote:

> As someone who knows all of the Windows build platforms well...
> my 2 cents jives with your decision, Bill.
>
> Using MSVC 6.0 at this point and keeping the makefiles
> is the only 'sane' thing to do at this point.

Couple of months ago I've proposed a 'hand-written'
nmake system containing of a single common .inc file
and actual implementation (for APR).
It can be used to build the APR as dll/lib on
any platform/cpu/compiler starting from vc6 up.

The major fear was the maintenance.
Well, the number of modules or files that gets
added to the core is so small, and I found it's
easier to copy/paste/rewrite_few_lines rather then
open .dsw and the point-click couple of hundred times.

Since the similar system works just fine for Netware
I see no reason why that can not be implemented for
windows too.

The days when there was only win32/i386 are long time
gone.

Regards,
Mladen.