httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Directions for Win32 binary httpd
Date Sat, 03 Dec 2005 18:33:28 GMT
Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On 12/3/05, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>
>>It seems that most of the communites are still in VC 6.  Remember the key
>>reason we keep using it, MS dropped support for exporting makefiles.  With
>>no makefiles, you are roped into supporting only version x or newer Studio
>>products.  With .dsp/.dsw solutions, we can export makefiles on the old
>>reliable VC 6, and users can load/convert these into Studio 2000/03/05.
>
> So why not distribute the VC6 dsp/dsw files but (officially) build
> with VS05 yourself?

Because, as noted, it's not compatible with binaries precompiled for most
languages that users would like to load into the running server, chief
amoung them being perl.  (The PHP module is far less invasive, and generally
follows the portability rules I set forth in another note, w.r.t. not handing
off clib resources from httpd to modphp and back.)

Bill