httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: svn commit: r351702 - /httpd/httpd/branches/2.2.x/Makefile.win
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2005 21:33:35 GMT

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> With this single change, there is now a source package available at;
>
>   httpd.apache.org/dev/dist/httpd-2.2.0-win32-src.zip
>
> However, without this single change it was impossible for nmake -f to run
> to completion.
>
> Is it unreasonable to publish this .zip if we deposit this patch under the
> general /dist/httpd/patches/apply-to-2.2.0/ tree for those working from
> a tarball?  If not, I'll scuttle (or leave in place for folks looking for
> an unreleased candidate to examine), and we'll start all over at 2.2.1 with
> the initial release.

Just add -patch1 or something to the name to make it clear and then go
ahead and release it.

> There are some further changes necessary to building on win32 docs for 2.2
> which I'll commit this weekend.  Are we doing anything in the 'bundled
> docs'
> to indicate to the user that our site is much more likely to contain the
> latest, up to date information?  It seems we should, in the distribution,
> and in all the Announcements we publish for at least the first few months
> of 2.2's existance.

I highly doubt that many people use the bundled docs.  They are not
browsable on a default configuration and certainly require the server to
be running before they are usable, which means they are of little help
to upgraders.  We also build windows-help format docs, which would be
much more appropriate for win32 users, but I don't think we have those
for 2.2 yet.

Joshua.