httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [Fwd: [users@httpd] [announce] Apache HTTP Server 2.2.0 Released]
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 23:32:58 GMT
Brian Akins wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
> Seriously though, will the inclusion of all the async stuff warrant a
> jump to 3.0?

My 2c CA (yes, I have 2 of them sitting here)...

If the user can write a content handling module that ignores threading and
remains on-thread, then it's a 2.4 change.

If the user must rewrite their content handlers to pay attention to thread
jumps, and must use some sort of yeild beyond apr_socket_poll/select(), then
I'd agree it becomes 3.0.

I wouldn't worry about protocol/mpm authors, who are a breed to ourselves
and should be able to handle any bump.  It's the joe who put together a nifty
auth or content module who has to jump through hoops to learn the new API who
will suffer if we don't yell out **3.0**!!!

Bill