httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Win32 binary distributions 2.1.9-beta and onwards
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 22:40:25 GMT
On 2005.11.10 William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Question;
>
> I'm looking for input what version of visual c++ we should build apr 1.x
> and httpd 2.1.x and onwards with.  As most are aware, discrepancies in
> the clib mean that mismatched posix open()/close(), malloc()/free() can
> all cause serious problems, so a single version is vastly preferable.
>
> Open to comments...

I counted Nick concerned that moving from VC6 could cause breakage, and he
distributes loadable binaries.  These are not really a concern until you
cross the evil threshold of using apr_os_xxx_get() to obtain resources which
you then attempt to free in the clib, and his modules don't do that... but
the language binding modules sure do...

Point was raised by Randy Kobes that Activestate Perl was bound VC6, but
for 5.8.x, and would probably change next bump (5.10, 6.0 or whatever.)

Point was raised by me that Activestate Python 2.4 is bound VC2003.

Colm observed VS2005 will have at least some free version or be free for
a limited period of time, as kudos for that flavor.  (It's now released.)

I have 6.0, 2000/.NET, 2003, and 2005 sitting here, and will build whichever
flavor is deemed 'appropriate'.

If nobody speaks up, I'm building 'same old, same old' under MSVCRT.

Bill