httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brandon Fosdick" <b...@bfoz.net>
Subject Re: What do you want in HTTPD 2.4/3.0/X/GREEN?
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2005 19:18:28 GMT
> Brandon Fosdick wrote:
>
>> Would it be possible to use something like fam (or kqueue on FreeBSD)
>> and
>> have httpd notified whenever the config file changes? That would solve
>> part of the above desire without requiring the extensive changes needed
>> go to a db/ldap system.
>
> That could be external to httpd.  Just have a monitor (or in cfengine,
> or whatever) that when the config changes it issues a graceful restart.
> Simple and straight-forward.

Certainly true, and I've even thought about doing just that. But it seems
like a relatively simple change and it would make less work for the
user/admin.

And, to me at least, it seems Intuitively Correct that an app should be
watching it's own config files for changes and then responding
appropriately. I see this as being in the same vein as re-reading config
files in response to a kill -HUP. Instead of (or in addition to)
responding to a HUP signal, the app is responding to a file change event.

Now that I think about it, watching for file events might help with log
rotation too, since a signal wouldn't have to be sent when the files are
changed.