httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: What do you want in HTTPD 2.4/3.0/X/GREEN?
Date Sat, 03 Dec 2005 20:08:15 GMT
On Saturday 03 December 2005 19:36, Paul Querna wrote:
> My intention is for this to be a wide open brainstorming thread.
>
> I expect that we will be able to discuss several ideas in much more
> detail at the Hackathon next week, but I really want to get all ideas
> 'on the table'.

Alas, I shall be remote.

> Here is my list:
>
> * Async/Event MPM:

Sounds fine for a 2.4.

> * A Perchild MPM/replacement:

Ditto.  But we don't have a track record of round tuits.

> * HTTP Removed from the core:

Probably a 3.0 thing.  What's the request_rec - and everything that
revolves around it - going to look like?

One thing we really should avoid is another big API break like 1.x-2.x.
Third-party modules should continue to work with little or no rewriting.

Some more thoughts;

* Authz cleanup (already started in authz-dev)
* Flexible handlers using ap_provider
  c.f. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-dev&m=112843906920434&w=2
* Configuration revamp - enable reconfiguration (ideally per-vhost)
  without a server restart.

--
Nick Kew