httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: [users@httpd] [announce] Apache HTTP Server 2.2.0 Released]
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2005 08:44:39 GMT
On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 05:47:14PM -0500, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> You know, it's a real shame when an open source project,
> which should abide by the rule "release when ready" and
> isn't driven by artificial schedules or deadlines must ship
> a major new release with known "issues".
>
> I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I still don't
> understand the reason for such a "rushed" release, when
> an extra few days would likely have resolved them...

releng is about making relative judgements of quality not absolute ones.
The question is "is 2.2.0 better than 2.0.x?" not "is 2.2.0 bug-free?".

If you look at bugzilla you can find hundreds of "known issues" many of
which are far more serious than the two mentioned in the release notes
(one a feature which has no feasible "fix", one a platform-specific
lack-of-feature).  Should we wait a few days for those to be fixed too,
each time someone points one out?

joe