httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Win32 binary distributions 2.1.9-beta and onwards
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 22:51:36 GMT
On Thursday 01 December 2005 22:40, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> On 2005.11.10 William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > Question;
> >
> > I'm looking for input what version of visual c++ we should build apr 1.x
> > and httpd 2.1.x and onwards with.  As most are aware, discrepancies in
> > the clib mean that mismatched posix open()/close(), malloc()/free() can
> > all cause serious problems, so a single version is vastly preferable.
> >
> > Open to comments...

Speaking as one of the people who raised concerns:-

> I counted Nick concerned that moving from VC6 could cause breakage, and he
> distributes loadable binaries.  These are not really a concern until you
> cross the evil threshold of using apr_os_xxx_get() to obtain resources
> which you then attempt to free in the clib, and his modules don't do
> that... but the language binding modules sure do...

Yes, I think I was happy with your explanation, in principle at least.
I'll download the 2.2.0 MSI when available, and try building against it.
The main concern is mod_proxy_html, as that's the really popular one.

> If nobody speaks up, I'm building 'same old, same old' under MSVCRT.

I think, do it as you think best - you're the expert.  If things don't work
here, I'll be back begging your advice, but I don't use apr_os_xxx_get().

--
Nick Kew