httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rian Hunter <r...@MIT.EDU>
Subject mod_smtpd changes
Date Sat, 31 Dec 2005 18:23:33 GMT
Hi,

I'm planning on revamping mod_smtpd and resolving some problems with it
that kind of put it at a dead-lock because of many unelegant solutions
to a hard problem.

First I plan on removing all the unnecessary hook code, and adjust
mod_smtpd to use regular (apr?) hooks. That will really simplify things
and increase build portability.

Also I want to fix the folder hierarchy and put all the src in one
folder and the Makefiles in others, so it isn't so UNIX-centric.

There are some parts where it's hard for mod_smtpd to conform to the way
httpd does input filters, I'm going to iron that out.

Also the envelope abstraction needs some working on so it can extended
by other plugins and other miscellaneous things.

Basically I want to get mod_smtpd to a stated where it is comfortable
for plugin writers to develop for and sysadmins to use. Practicality is
goal #1, whereas before it was extensibility.

Any comments, ideas and criticisms are highly welcomed! Thanks!

Rian Hunter