httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: OT: performance FUD
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:09:32 GMT
--On November 29, 2005 2:50:19 PM -0500 Brian Akins <bakins@web.turner.com>
wrote:

> This is probably way off topic for this list.  I was searching for
> something related to php this morning (I know, I know... But some people
> here need php) and the majority of the google hits where FUD sites. Most
> of them generally say "Apache is bloated and slow, you should use X."  I
> know we have several people on this list who run Apache on very high
> traffic sites.  While we cannot answer every single piece of FUD out
> there, do we need a general page to answer some of them.  Maybe
> "testimonials" or something.  I know, with my config, I can easily
> saturate multiple gig interfaces and have a rather full feature
> installation.
>
> Thoughts?

First off, this is absolutely on-topic for this list.  =)

Most high-traffic sites keep their details under wraps.  If you are willing
to have some information made public (i.e. how much traffic you do, how
many servers, etc.), I'm sure we could post a page on our website towards
that end.  I've presented some talks about how apache.org runs httpd with
one small httpd instance.  It'd be nice to complement that information with
other sites who have far more complicated setups.  -- justin