httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Auth*Authoritative
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2005 20:49:30 GMT
--On November 15, 2005 3:33:56 PM -0500 Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca>
wrote:

> I'm trying to wrap my head around the new auth system.
>
> All the Auth*Authoritative directives seem to have copied their docs
> content from someplace that refers to "lower level modules (as defined in
> the modules.c files)".  What the heck does that mean in an httpd 2.x
> context?

No clue.

> Isn't the ordering really determined by hook-ordering, which
> makes it essentially arbitrary since they are mostly HOOK_MIDDLE?

The ordering/implications is now governed by either the provider lists (as
specified in the Auth*Provider directives) or the hooks (as per
Auth*Authoritative if a module doesn't participate in the new provider
scheme).

The provider system is, IMHO, a far cleaner way of resolving the
Auth*Authoritative issues; but is maintained for legacy purposes for
Authentication or for the Authorization system which hasn't been touched
with the Provider system.  -- justin