httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: httpd-2.1.7 Connection-pooling Problem w/ ReverseProxy, Loadbalancer
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:30:39 GMT

On 11/30/2005 08:38 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Nov 29, 2005, at 4:55 PM, Ruediger Pluem wrote:

[..cut..]

>> Has someone found out out why we close the connection if
>> r->proxyreq == PROXYREQ_PROXY || r->proxyreq == PROXYREQ_REVERSE?
>>
>> I fear that this is something that has survived from 2.0.x.
>> I am also wondering why mod_proxy_http is storing the connection
>> in the module config. Is this something from 2.0.x days where we  had
>> no connection
>> pool or is it a security problem to share one keepalive http  backend
>> connections across
>> different client connections and vice versa?
>>

> Doubtful, since this aspect of the code didn't exist
> in 2.0. IIRC, it had to do with some aspects of
> pooling and threads, but it's been awhile since it
> was folded in. Likely it has to do with AJPs connection
> pool, but that's a wag.

Ok, regarding the PROXYREQ_REVERSE issue you are right. I had a look at the 2.0.x
code meanwhile (sorry been too lazy for that before) and found no signs for this.
Regarding the storage of the backend connection in the module config I found
very similar code pieces in the old 2.0.x sources so I think it is an heritage from 2.0.x.

I believe the clearer approach would be to fetch the connection from the connection pool
each time and do not use this module config method any longer. This would also resolve the
problem of Hans-Joerg which you fixed with your recent patches as we would get the correct
connection then anyway.
>From a first quick view the whole infrastructure for doing this seems to be prepared
pretty well already.

> Anyway, I'm likely going to rework that area a bit and move
> some things around to try to optimize the flow a bit...

I also hope to have some time on the weekend to make some thoughts.
As soon as they are made I'll let you and everyone know :-).

Regards

RĂ¼diger