httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul A Houle <p...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: OT: performance FUD
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:07:17 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:

> Suggestions to improve
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.1/misc/perf-tuning.html
> are very welcome.  Suggestions backed by data are even better.

    Basically there's nothing quantitative there.  There's a lot of talk
about "some operating systems" and not a lot of talk about specifics.

> One issue is that this page was written for (and, in fact, by) the
> Dean Gaudet-type performance freak who was looking to squeeze every
> last ounce of performance when serving static pages.  All you need to
> do is add one CGI script or php app to your site and everything on
> that page after the hardware section gets lost in the noise.  So when
> people mail users@httpd asking how to fix performance problems, the
> answer is almost always "fix your database" or "rewrite your web app"
> and not "change your apache configuration" or "get a faster web server".

    For me,  that's the reason why quantitative information is so important.

    I did extensive performance testing on the new server we
commissioned precisely because of the situation you describe:  we had
people saying "rewriting is slow",  "extendedstatus on is slow" --
people were making decisions based on qualitative statements about
performance,  not qualitative performance.

    After doing those tests,  I learned that I had nothing to fear if I
wanted to put in 500 rewriting rules,  but that 50,000 is too much.