httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: minotaur down
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2005 14:58:39 GMT

Nick Kew wrote:
> minotaur has been down for six hour now, perhaps longer.
> Given how many critical things live there, this is a problem.
>
> From discussion on #asfinfra (IRC), it seems (correct me if
> I'm wrong) that it can be accessed remotely by sufficiently
> privileged users even when down, but there are very few
> people with that privilege.
>
> Shouldn't there be an emergency backup plan, including
> a standby server that can be switched to for the public
> pages, and enough people, distributed over different
> timezones, equipped and privileged to switch to it?

Ooo... And fairy dust.  I think there should be fairy dust. ;-)

See the extended discussion about hiring paid infra help and feel free
to come over to infrastructure@apache.org and start writing down a
disaster recovery plan.

By the way, there is a live backup at httpd.eu.apache.org (and similarly
for most other sites), but in order to make the switch in DNS we'd need
access to minotaur.  Oops.

Joshua.