httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject Re: Policies on binaries?
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2005 22:31:51 GMT

<437E2E00.6000209@rowe-clan.net>,
wrowe@rowe-clan.net wrote:
> Roy's raised the recent issue that all ASF releases under his domain
> (httpd project chair) should be reviewed -by at least three pmc
members-
> as well as the contributors and committers.
>
> This raises an obvious question; are binary distributions releases?
Or
> are the merely repackaging the source code that was already
approved?
> It seems none of the platform binaries are reviewed today.
>
> Either way, because it's sufficiently complex, I've required at least
two
> more +1's on a binary release for Win32, to avoid streams of bug
reports.
> Sometimes quirks happen to a binary distribution, and its better that
it
> never hit the mirrors, and is fixed quickly.

   IMO, binary releases are simply repackaging of the source code that
has already be approved and released.  As for the NetWare binary
release, since it appears that I am the *only* committer and/or member
equipped to test the binary release, it would be extremely difficult to
get 3 +1's.  Therefore my only choice is the build it, test it and
release it.

Brad