httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Auth*Authoritative
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2005 21:12:44 GMT

Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> The ordering/implications is now governed by either the provider lists
> (as specified in the Auth*Provider directives) or the hooks (as per
> Auth*Authoritative if a module doesn't participate in the new provider
> scheme).
>
> The provider system is, IMHO, a far cleaner way of resolving the
> Auth*Authoritative issues; but is maintained for legacy purposes for
> Authentication or for the Authorization system which hasn't been touched
> with the Provider system.  -- justin

Getting closer, but I'm still confused.

The Auth*Provider directives make sense to me for choosing which
mod_authn_* module will get a crack at doing authentication.  But there
are two other ordering problems: mod_auth_basic versus mod_auth_digest
and the mod_authz_* modules in the authorization phase.  It seems that
these are where the Auth*Authoritative directives apply, and that there
is no way (short of code editing) to do explicit ordering on these.  Is
this correct?

(Yes, I could go read the code to answer these questions.  But I'm lazy,
and I believe that an ordinary user *should* be able to figure this out
from the docs.)

Joshua.