httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: svn commit: r344409 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/manual/install.xml
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2005 18:57:03 GMT

Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> Really?  That'd be the right syntax for httpd, but not for apachectl.
> (Looking at apachectl, it looks like it'd just happen to work though.)

It works by design.  It doesn't matter very much, but I'm trying to be
consistent about using httpd-style arguments and not initv-style
arguments, because it makes it much easier if the user needs to add
other arguments in the future.  For example, if the user discovers that
he needs to use -D to make an <IfDefine> work, it is confusing to need
to rethink the "start" as well.  If you always use -k, then it just works.

I think this is well-documented at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/programs/apachectl.html

> several

Thanks.