httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: svn commit: r344369 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: ./ docs/manual/ docs/manual/mod/ include/ server/
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:01:09 GMT

jim@apache.org wrote:
> Author: jim
> Date: Tue Nov 15 06:50:39 2005
> New Revision: 344369

> Log:
> Add in the UseCanonicalPhysicalPort directive, which
> basically allows Apache to configurably ( :) )
> use the physical port when constructing the
> canonical port. Also add the exact ordering to
> the docs, so people can easily see how it works.
> We now have compatibility with both 2.0 and 1.3.

Hmmm... You "snuck" in an additional change here:

> -<default>UseCanonicalName Off</default>
> +<default>UseCanonicalName On</default>

(and corresponding code changes).

The change to the UseCanonicalName default was deliberate and documented:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.1/upgrading.html

The "off" default was selected because it results in a major reduction
in broken servers and essentially eliminates a FAQ that used to appear
all the time on the user lists.

I don't have very strong feelings about it, but I don't have any problem
changing a default like this on a 2.0 to 2.2 upgrade, and I'd prefer it
you put it back to "off".

Joshua.