httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Win32 build files and eol-style
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:51:14 GMT
Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
>>>It would also have the advantage of making the source tarballs useful on
>>>win32.
>>
>>Ditto, above
>
> But we don't do that for the source tarballs.

In fact we not only do an svn CRLF dos checkout for httpd, we also generate
the appropriate .mak/.dep files, adding in apr-iconv along with apr-util and
apr as distributed for unix, when packaging Win32.  The generated .rc files
are also included.  Ergo the httpd...-src.zip file is ready-to-go on Win32,
for anyone using VC 5 or later.  Folks who want a GUI build on Studio .NET
need to load the Apache.dsw, which is automatically converted to Apache.sln.
There is no point to distributing .sln files, since .NET Studio converts for
interactive users, and the command line build simply uses the .mak files.

The reason Apache can't be maintained in an .sln/.vcproj format is that MS
decided .mak exports weren't worthwhile, as it prevented them from forcing
users to upgrade every two years by allowing the user to keep using old
tools.  So studio.net can't export .sln's to .mak's for all compilers, since
it's not a profitable feature.

Bill