httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: pgp trust for https?
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2005 23:54:46 GMT
TOKILEY@aol.com wrote:

> I am not affiliated with any company that directly manufactures or
> ships Itanium products... but I happen to have 2 or 3 of the beasties
> here and Peter is right... the answers to most people's well-worn
> arguments about how you can't secure an OS are now laying right
> on the coffee table ( once the solve the over-heating problems, LOL ).
>
> There are parts of every server ( httpd included ) that should ONLY
> run in the (new) protected IA64 'container' spaces. It's a given
> and it's inevitable.

Fine... then the obvious questions arise;

  1. does this require OS support?  E.g. is the discussion premature?
     Or is there an OS you were already thinking about?

  2. is this a platform issue?  E.g. should this discussion really be
     occuring over in apr-land, or over here?

If IA64 containers are entirely an application-specific detail, and
are useful today w-w/o OS support, then we have something on topic
to discuss in detail.  If I misinterpreted this as a future/OS rings
kernel design discussion, then I appologize.

> It's interesting to discover the real success of APR when you
> remove the operating system altogether and discover that Apache
> is now so good at not caring what the OS really is that it doesn't
> care much, either, when there is no OS at all.

LOL - Yup :)  If you ever want to add another use-case to the apr.apache.org
page, feel free to post your blurb on dev@apr.apache.org.  Always fun to add
more real-world examples.

Bill