httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Documentation; updating filter.xml
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2005 21:58:33 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 November 2005 20:11, Joshua Slive wrote:
>

>>>The figure exists in a couple of places already.  Checking my bookmarks,
>>>it's Figure 1 at
>>>http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/12/15/apache-namespaces.html
>>
>>So you are just trying to say that data and meta-data are processed
>>separately?  I'm not really sure what this adds as far as the end-user
>>is concerned.
>

> Not so much anything to do with metadata, as trying to explain that
> the data/filter axis is orthogonal to request processing.  Don't you
> think that's helpful in visualising what filters are all about?

You're doing the writing, so do what you think is clearest.  But I think
"request processing" means "everything involved in turning an HTTP
request into an HTTP response", which is almost everything in httpd.
What I think you are talking about is something like hooks versus
filters, which is really an implimentation detail that I wouldn't put in
an end-user doc.

Joshua.