httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: mod_access vs mod_authz_host
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2005 00:21:54 GMT

Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On November 3, 2005 4:54:08 PM +0000 Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com> wrote:
>
>> Just to elaborate on that, it's the name I'm not happy about.
>> I'm perfectly happy with the /modules/aaa/ classification.
>

> The problem is that mod_access does not indicate the purpose of the
> module.

I agree.

> access to what?  What is access?

if it were anyone else I'd answer those ;)

> mod_authz_host is by far the best representation of what the module does
> and how it specifically fits into our module classifications.

you really think so?  I think it's mistakenly given an authz namespace,
giving users the impression it steps in after authentication, or does
something else specifically based on r->user.  at least any users who have
bothered to wrap their heads around the entire aaa idiom and phase separations.

> So, if
> you are going to complain about the name, please come up with helpful
> suggestions rather than having us revert to an ambiguous name.

I suggested mod_access_host, which I think fits into the current hierarchy
rather nicely.  then we could potentially have slots formod_access_cookie,
mod_access_useragent, or whatever else people generally use the access phase
for.  mod_authz_host feels terribly misleading...

--Geoff