httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cache trouble (Re: [vote] 2.1.9 as beta)
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 23:03:00 GMT

On 11/07/2005 11:30 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Nov 7, 2005, at 2:09 PM, Ruediger Pluem wrote:
>
>>> The problem is that without Cache-Control: private, any downstream cache
>>> would have the exact same problem.  There's no way for it to know that
>>> the response differs based on IPs unless the Origin says so.  -- justin
>>

>> This is true. But in the case of a forward proxy that is used to give
>> office users access to the internet in general based on there IP this
>> is no problem.
>

> Then either the forward proxy has an external agreement with the
> source (and can override the cache-control) or it has no clue
> about the source and cannot safely cache the content.  In any
> case, the messages that we send must be correctly marked as
> private because that is our configuration.

Just checking if I understood things correctly:

If I have a forward proxy to which I limit access via IP based access control
I should add Cache-Control: private to any response I get back from the backend
(either a Remote Proxy or the origin server).

This response would not be cached by mod_cache unless I overwrite it with
CacheStorePrivate on.

If I set CacheStorePrivate to on the reponse gets cached by mod_cache, but the
next request for this (fresh) resource will not check the access control and
deliver it to any client, regardless of the IP. Correct?

Regards

RĂ¼diger