httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cache trouble (Re: [vote] 2.1.9 as beta)
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 22:09:05 GMT

On 11/07/2005 10:31 PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On November 7, 2005 10:16:34 PM +0100 Ruediger Pluem
> <rpluem@apache.org> wrote:

[..cut..]

> The problem is that without Cache-Control: private, any downstream cache
> would have the exact same problem.  There's no way for it to know that
> the response differs based on IPs unless the Origin says so.  -- justin

This is true. But in the case of a forward proxy that is used to give office
users access to the internet in general based on there IP this is no problem.
I do not argue that this behaviour should be the default behaviour of httpd.
I completely agree with Roy that httpd by default must be HTTP compliant, but
there should be possibilties (and there already are) to
break this compliance with explicit configuration options to get some things working.

Regards

RĂ¼diger