httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: cache trouble (Re: [vote] 2.1.9 as beta)
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 03:26:13 GMT
Roy T.Fielding wrote:
> On Nov 4, 2005, at 10:56 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>> It leaves us wondering; how can allow from/deny from n.n.n.n be mapped to
>> RFC 2616 semantics, or at least, without running the many server hooks on
>> later requests?  The only way I can see, is that we should have any more
>> explicit allow from/deny from leave a marker in the request record
>> from that
>> authorization phase, and mark it nocache if the request doesn't otherwise
>> set the authentication required headers.
>
> Cache-control: private
>
> is what should be added for any resource under access control.

But.. But.. But.. I want to have my cake and eat it too.

This does imply we should be adding this header anytime _)any_
mod_authz_* module is invoked.  That would suck.

I still like making it admin configurable. Allowing the admin to
configure mod_cache to run as a quick-handler, or a normal-handler.  It
puts the burden of breaking standards onto the Admin.

-Paul