httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Phillip Susi <ps...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: pgp trust for https?
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2005 23:28:51 GMT
The big reason that comes to my mind is that users don't want to have to
implicitly trust the server from the start, then register on the site by
uploading their own key before secure communications can begin.

The big advantage of a public certificate infrastructure is that the
rest of us can trust someone we have never met before ( i.e. an https
server you have never visited before ) because they present us with a
certificate that is signed by a trusted third party.  The server proves
to the client that it is who it says it is, and the client can
optionally prove its identity to the server with a client certificate.
Either one allows all communications to be encrypted and you don't have
to exchange private information first to do it.

Personally, I don't understand the need for pgp.  You can sign and
encrypt email or IPsec just fine using x.509 certificates.