httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: cache trouble (Re: [vote] 2.1.9 as beta)
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2005 15:07:56 GMT

Graham Leggett wrote:
> The httpd cache is simply yet another cache in the chain of HTTP/1.1
> caches that are typically present when a browser accepts a page from a
> website. The authentication issue is handled by RFC2616 already, and as
> long as httpd mod_cache conforms to the correct headers handling, and
> works like the other proxies in the chain, then authentication is not a
> problem.

I agree with you about 90%.  The problem is that there are a very few
things that aren't accounted for in standard HTTP caching rules.  One
example is Varying access by client IP address.  Another example is
changing protocol behavior when communicating with the client.
Reasonable proxy administrators may want to do these things.

Joshua.