httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: cache trouble (Re: [vote] 2.1.9 as beta)
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2005 01:03:56 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> In my performance analyses that I did when redoing mod_cache last year,
> a substantial part of the time in httpd was spent in all of the hooks
> prior to the handler.  Things like BrowserMatch (which do regex's) are
> ridiculously expensive.

Interesting to think, however, about what the purpose of all those
regexes was (they are no longer in the 2.1 config).  They were meant to
fix protocol problems.  Given that mod_cache doesn't run those hooks,
it seems there is no way to work around client protocol problems.  (Just
sending Vary: User-Agent wouldn't fix the problem, because when the user
agent matched a cached variant, the protocol adjustments still wouldn't
be applied.)

Important?  I don't know.  But if it is easy to make mod_cache
configurable with regards to running all these hooks, I am sure that it
would find uses.

Joshua.