httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: OT: performance FUD
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:12:07 GMT
On Wednesday 30 November 2005 16:30, Paul A Houle wrote:

>     PHP's market position is as a product that any idiot can download
> and install,  just following the instructions,  and get a system with
> good reliability and performance -- a painful phase of shaking out
> threading bugs would endanger that perception.

That looks a lot like Windows' market position.  And I suspect it's no
accident: both products have heaped on new 'goodies', all too often
at the expense of other considerations.  It's IMO also no accident
that PHP is moving towards a Windows-like security track record.

Which leads me to pose the question: can and should the PHP folks learn
anything from how Microsoft are dealing with their tarnished image?
And even, how closely should we @apache be watching, lest we ourselves
stray from the straight-and-narrow and find ourselves at the wrong end of
a bunch of real-life exploits, and/or get tarnished by fallout from elsewhere?

--
Nick Kew