httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <>
Subject Re: Any 'official' Apache FastCGI-like alternative planned?
Date Sun, 27 Nov 2005 22:30:01 GMT
On Sunday 27 November 2005 22:11, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been wondering, do the Apache developers plan to develop and/or
> include an official FastCGI-like module in Apache?

Nope.  There's the old mod_fastcgi and the more up-to-date mod_fcgid
out there.  Why does the world need another?

If you have a specific need that the above don't meet, perhaps "FastCGI-like"
isn't the best way to describe it.

> I know there's for example AJP but that appears to be aimed
> specifically at Java.

AJP is part of the proxy framework.  It's written by the java (tomcat) folks
for their own use, but if you have a non-java AJP server, there's nothing
to stop you using it for that.

> An official module would be handy so that PHP can be run in separate
> processes without requiring the http server itself to use separate
> processes.

I can't see how that's of much use except in the case of a server which
uses a little PHP but mostly runs some application that benefits substantially
from a threaded MPM.  What would you need that isn't provided for by
running PHP as CGI, under fastcgi, or on a separate server instance
running with prefork and proxied by the primary server?

BTW, this would be more appropriate to the users@ list.

Nick Kew

View raw message