httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Florian Zumbiehl <fl...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: mod_deflate Vary header
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2005 13:28:17 GMT
Hi,

> > The whole point is I don't do compression because of any _clients'_
> > connections, but because of the _server's_ connection! If the server's
> > connection usually is far slower than the client's connection (like
> > with a server behind a V.90 modem, which would be 33.6 kb/s upstream
> > with considerable latency), it (1) would be faster for the vast majority
> > of clients to get an uncompressed copy from their ISP's cache rather than
> > a compressed one from the original server and (2) even if it wasn't, it
> > still might save traffic and thus money for the server operator.
>
> If I do understand correctly, you say, that not compressing the content
> saves bandwidth? Well then turn off mod_deflate and you're done. No need to
> change anything here, IMHO.

Could you possibly point out where you think you've read that in the
text quoted above? In case you just have a particular scenario in mind
where at least a large part of the caches that hold a copy of the
compressed version sooner or later get a request for the uncompressed
version: How about considering a scenario where my suggestion could be
sensible rather than specifically making one up where it is not?

Plus, I obviously listed possible traffic reduction at the server only
as a secondary advantage.

Cya, Florian