httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Debug httpd binaries compiled with --enable-pie with gdb
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2005 11:53:52 GMT
On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 06:47:46PM +0100, Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> On 10/30/2005 06:29 PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> >
> > I thought you needed RH-specific patches - that is, no regular
> > (i.e. GNU-stock) version of GDB will support PIE.  -- justin

There's nothing Red Hat specific about PIE, it's all supported in the
upstream toolchain.

> Thanks for the hint. Meanwhile I downloaded the source RPM of
>
> http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/updates/3/x86_64/gdb-6.1post-1.20040607.43.x86_64.html
>
> which compiled fine on RHEL 3. But debugging still does not work :-(.
> I guess the problem now is that my kernel does not give the needed support to gdb as
I found
> something about /proc/PID/auxv it tries to use which is not available on my system.

Ah, yeah, there is that too.  The PIE stuff was really only introduced
in RHEL4 so trying to get this to work on old systems may be hard work.
The RHEL4 gdb+kernel can happily debug PIE binaries, anyway.

joe