httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: cache trouble (Re: [vote] 2.1.9 as beta)
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2005 23:30:27 GMT
--On November 3, 2005 8:44:02 PM +0100 Ruediger Pluem <rpluem@apache.org>
wrote:

> I also agree with this. While I understand the performance benefits from
> the developer perspective, I fear the confusion from the user and
> administrators perspective. Having a clear configuration is not only
> about having non-expert
> users getting it work but also to ease the job of expert administrators
> to understand what they configured a year or so after they did :-).

In my performance analyses that I did when redoing mod_cache last year, a
substantial part of the time in httpd was spent in all of the hooks prior
to the handler.  Things like BrowserMatch (which do regex's) are
ridiculously expensive.

So, moving the cache to a regular handler is not a minor performance
penalty - it's a major one.  And, probably to the point where there's *no*
performance increase for even having a cache - unless you are combining it
with a backend proxy.  -- justin