httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: cache trouble (Re: [vote] 2.1.9 as beta)
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2005 00:36:31 GMT
On Nov 7, 2005, at 3:03 PM, Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> Just checking if I understood things correctly:
>
> If I have a forward proxy to which I limit access via IP based access
> control
> I should add Cache-Control: private to any response I get back from
> the backend
> (either a Remote Proxy or the origin server).

No, access control on a forward proxy has nothing to do with
cache-control.  Cache-control is defined by the origin server.

> This response would not be cached by mod_cache unless I overwrite it
> with
> CacheStorePrivate on.
>
> If I set CacheStorePrivate to on the reponse gets cached by mod_cache,

Yes, though I would hope that you would set that within a
Location directive specific to a given set of URIs.

> but the next request for this (fresh) resource will not check the
> access control and
> deliver it to any client, regardless of the IP. Correct?

The forward proxy would deliver it to any client that had the
ability to GET from that proxy.

....Roy