httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <bri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: async write completion prototype
Date Sun, 23 Oct 2005 07:12:24 GMT
On Oct 18, 2005, at 7:11 AM, Greg Ames wrote:

> Brian Pane wrote:
>
>> I think one contributor to the event results is an issue that
>> Paul  Querna
>> pointed out on #httpd-dev the other day: apr_pollset_remove runs
>> in O(n)
>> time with n descriptors in the pollset.
>>

> thanks, I see it.  yeah we are going to have to do something about
> that.

I just committed a change to the epoll version that eliminates the
O(n) loop--and the mutex operations and a bit of data structure
copying.

The version of the Event MPM on the async-dev branch takes
advantage of this new feature.  I'm seeing a ~5% increase in
throughput in a simple test setup (http_load on a client machine
driving ~200 concurrent connections over 1Gb/s ethernet to
Apache running on Linux 2.6).

If anybody with a more industrial-strength load testing setup
can try the async-dev version of the Event MPM with a few
thousand concurrent connections, I'm eager to hear whether
this new epoll code yields a useful speedup.

Thanks,
Brian