httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Armstrong <an...@apache.org>
Subject Should exist: mod_log_dbus?
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2005 00:59:21 GMT
(Apologies for posting here and on the modules list - it just occured
to me that this might be a better place)

I'm playing around with log analysis at the moment - particularly
real time analysis. Currently I just pipe logs through a Perl script
that does the actual analysis. I'd quite like to be able to have
multiple filters analysing the incoming log entries at the same time.
I can of course do that just by building a pipeline of filters - but
it starts to get messy.

So, I was looking at d-bus [1] and thinking how convenient it would
be if I had a d-bus based logging module. Then I could just write
filters that subscribed to the log messages. I could easily add,
remove and restart filters without touching Apache.

I'm prepared to do some work on such a module but I don't want to do
it if there's some obvious alternative I'm missing. Is this something
that might be useful? Is there something out there already that I've
missed?

[1] http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/dbus

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net