httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: NameVirtualHosts & SSL
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2005 18:03:38 GMT
Kenevel wrote:

> My question is why the server couldn't do some sort of reverse-lookup on its
> register of SSL certificates that are in use. Surely the server knows which
> certificate it is using to service the request (or else it wouldn't be able
> to decrypt its contents) and hence work out which virtual host uses that
> certificate?

The server knows exactly this, yes, but by then it is too late.

The one-virtual-host-per-ip limitation is imposed by SSL, it has nothing
to do with the webserver.

There is an exception - if you use a wildcard certificate, you can run
multiple virtual hosts on condition all the virtual hosts match the
wildcard certificate.

Regards,
Graham