httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: [pre-release] 2.0.55 *candidate* available for testing
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2005 12:44:13 GMT
Ondrej Sury wrote:

> Sorry, but in DEB world, this is pretty normal to have separate upstream
> source and debian/ subdirectory and it's not serious pain at all.

Exactly, it's normal in the debian world, but it's not normal in the rpm
world.

Each packaging system has it's own "default" way of handling packaging.
In the case of RPM, it's "rpmbuild --rebuild yyy.src.rpm", or "rpmbuild
-tb yyy.tar.gz". Debian does it differently, just like Solaris pkg does
it differently, but it makes no difference.

I have in the past wasted *hours* of time because the packager of an RPM
expected the user to "just know" that their package had some weird
custom process of producing an RPM, and when this was posted as a bug
the answer was "oh, you should have read the documentation".

I had read the documentation: the rpm man page, which clearly details
the --rebuild and -tX options.

With packaging, the needs of the users come first, the needs of the
packager comes second. Sure, it will be nice and neat for packagers to
have packaging scripts in a single archive, but that's a pain for the
end user.

> Upstream and packagers work in clearly separated and in my view it's
> good.  But my view can be twisted since there are propably a bit
> different *standards* how is package provided in DEB and RPM world, ie.
> debianers are not used to compile packages themselves a lot, they use
> packages provided by their distribution.

Virtually all distros offer a somewhat conservative approach to
packaging - they are typically a few versions behind, and there are good
reasons for this.

Sometimes however, someone might need a bleeding edge feature not
offered by a distro, but they might not want to clutter up their system
with "custom" install trees. The ASF packages serve the needs of this
group of people.

Regards,
Graham