httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: ABI and MMN in 2.1
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:23:29 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:
> Given 2.1's current beta status, what rules govern breaking the ABI
> right now?

Break it.  2.odd has no ABI/API rules.  2.even is constrained, so since
we will be stuck with the ABI for a year or two, while 2.2 is supported,
better to be stuck with the best API we could come up with before we
announce GA.

Module authors will be playing catch-up anyways once 2.2.0 is final.
Hopefully, if they were tracking 2.1 development, they caught all of
our fixes and even suggested their own, based on real world problems.

>  Is it "yes, but then MMN must change too"?

Always - the MMN bumps help -us- to catch that we only performed a
partial recompile when we should have rebuilt clean, after svn up'ing.

> I'm thinking specifically of replacing functions that have become mere
> stubs for another func since 2.0 with macros.  For a specific case-in-point,
> see Line 352 of util_filter.h.

<shrug> - I'd like those /** @deprecated @see ap_new_function */, and
maybe wait to rip them until we roll 3.0.  We are strongly against ANY
lowercase macros; they are bad programming style and may expose the
developer to double-increment and other macro-side-effect bugs.

Macros should always be capitalized.  Leave these stubs as functions,
warn people with doxygen to quit using them, and let them die in all
due course.

Bill