httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Win32 binary distributions 2.1.9-beta and onwards
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:45:15 GMT
Randy Kobes wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>> Question;
>>
>> I'm looking for input what version of visual c++ we should build apr 1.x
>> and httpd 2.1.x and onwards with.  As most are aware, discrepancies in
>> the clib mean that mismatched posix open()/close(), malloc()/free() can
>> all cause serious problems, so a single version is vastly preferable.
>>
>> Open to comments...
>
> One aspect worth considering is the interaction with Perl,
> and the fact that the dominant Win32 binary distribution
> from ActiveState is compiled with VC++ 6. I would expect
> there to be problems with the mod_perl module if one uses ActiveState's
> Perl and an Apache compiled with something other than VC++ 6. Might
> there be problems using such
> a Perl in a cgi script with a non-VC++ 6 Apache?

This is one of my main considerations.  Another, of course, is the
ActiveState distribution of python ;-)  2.3 is based upon VC6, IIRC,
while 2.4 is now being built using either .NET or .NET 2003 (I need
to actually double check that.)

And as more and more libraries drift from cl.exe rev 12.0, we are going
to have to make a jump.  The first release of httpd-2.2 seems like the
logical point, since it's a clear deliniation.  I like the comments
about the C++ express flavor, however it's not quite here.  [FYI, if
we do decide - I can always build our betas on the beta of VS2005, but
we would potentially be waiting to ship 2.2 GA].

My bigger concern, and would appreciate any comments, is that the .NET
flavors (original, 2003, 2005) seem to keep ditching their clib.  Over,
and over, and over.  I've never had much success shooting clay pidgeons
in real life or in software development.

Bill

Bill