httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: mod_mbox
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:19:16 GMT

Garrett Rooney wrote:
> On 10/10/05, Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca> wrote:
>
>> 1. Do we really want people "subscribing" to mailing lists using atom
>> over http?  This would consume way more resources than a standard
>> mailing list subscription (due to the polling nature of atom).  I don't
>> have any evidence, but this worrys me.
>
> I guess the question is, what are we concerned about?
>
> Is it the bandwidth used by people downloading the feeds?  Is it the
> CPU server side that we need to spend serving them up?  Is it both?

Both.

> It just comes down to two questions.  Do we want to offer the service,
> and if so, what resource utilization do we want to optimize for?

Yes, I agree.  I just meant to double-check that people think this is
really an important feature.  Because we already offer a perfectly good
subscription service via email that is much less resource intensive from
the server side.  I do understand, however, that some apache lists can
be overwhelming to receive via email, so an atom feed might be useful to
some people.  I just hope it is a small minority.

Joshua.