httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: nofollow was Re: mod_mbox
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:05:35 GMT

Nick Kew wrote:
> Paul Querna wrote:
>>> 2. There are several formats for each mail message (regular, raw,
>>> mime).  Probably the links to everything other than the standard
>>> format should use the rel="nofollow" modifier to keep the search
>>> engines out.  Keeping  the robots off of 2/3 of the links could make
>>> a big difference in load considering the number of pages on this site.
>>

>> I agree. We don't want Google and friends indexing the raw format, and
>> then ranking it higher than the normal presentation.
>
> More importantly, any mail archive without nofollow in the messages
> becomes a spam magnet.  Here's some nice free googlerank for
> http://dodgy.pills.example.com/?refid=yourstruly

Well, we don't want to keep search engines out of the archive entirely.
  The archives are a huge resource that we want easily searchable.

But we need to start thinking about a way to remove specific messages
from our archives for this reason among others.  That is more a topic
for infrastructure@

Joshua.